Saturday, July 21, 2007

This is a Creative Title

You know, everything breaks down on two features: self-reference and time. If we could just remove those two things, it would be impossible to write sentences that say, "This sentence is false" or "The following sentence is false. The preceding sentence is true."

Um, so what do you think about in the shower?

Don't answer that.


A busy week, I guess. I have not been very articulate this week. It may have something to do with all of the episodes of the office I've watched on Youtube. And all the crazy time I've spent working on pictures and reading up on tutorials and things.

Actually, I guess a lot of the week has been research oriented. We have signed on a contract project to update a telephony application, and I'm the lead on the project despite having no experience whatsoever with the technologies involved. The boss likes to throw us in headfirst. Into the deep end.

So I've been trying to learn about how 3Com NBX switches work, and how to get call data and so on. And it will end up being an interesting experience, I think. I wrote my first proposal, outline the requirements, deliverables, and the like. I budgeted a few weeks for the project (in terms of man-hours) but I don't think it'll take that long. I hope it doesn't.

It's come at a somewhat inconvenient time. A, in fact, is going to be holding down the fort all by himself during the first week of August. D, E, M and myself will all be on vacation, and Y will be closing on her house in CT. That's going to be insane for him, but I'm sure he'll just tell us how he was answering phones the entire time. He'll probably be more productive that way, though.

Truth be told, though, the project splits nicely into two parts, so it really will work out nicely. I'm kind of afraid that they've really paid us to do next to nothing, and I would feel badly about that.

I also spent time fixing regression cases and some other bugs, working on the build procedure, and the testing suite, which has made me angry for a long time.


I taught Thursday and Friday, which was fun, though less organized than I would've liked, I think. I don't like to lean on people too much because of the Teacher's Curse—which is basically that once you start teaching you stop training. That's one of the reasons that there's such a long period between next degrees on a black belt, I think. I have already learned all of my material, I think, maybe except for staff defense, and it's been a year. Time flies when you're having fun, I guess.

Speaking of karate, there's a get-together today for the black belts who recently tested. I will probably make an appearance and get out before the fun and games start. Partially because J wants to hang out this afternoon and also partially because I don't really want to play games. I enjoy the folks at karate, don't get me wrong, but I also enjoy my weekends.


Outside of the bird to start the week, I got some other interesting shots from the rain we had (the weather has been FANTASTIC), Bible Study, and the trip to J's folks' house, where we gambled some. I actually picked up a remote for my camera (inexpensive) and shot outside manually.

We also had some rain, and I took some pictures of the weather at work and a chickadee who visited our tree outside, too:



I also got some interesting shots at Bible Study:



And the last couple are from my drive to J's. It was a beautiful day, and I took several shots while driving (shhhhh) and managed to pull out a couple goodies, I think:



All in all, a very enjoyable week, and an enjoyable start to the weekend. It will be busy, so I'll probably complain about being tired later (like I usually do). I expect to have more pictures from the par-tay this afternoon, and hopefully E will give me cause to change my away message to something other than "This away message autogenerated by Plesk" sometime. Then I can rework my pictures page and put things up the Right Way instead of spamming you all with photos of the week.

The weather really has been fantastic, and that makes me happy.

2 comments:

Char said...

What d'ya mean swallowed by my own vortex?! It was so your turn to reply. >:(
just for that my evil look has returned.

My little cousin is here until tomorrow and we have been busy trying to find things for a 13 year old to do in Broadview (the answer being nothing, we have been driving around to all the other towns which DO have some signs of life.) Broadview is a uniquely boring place.

While I won't tell you what I think about in the shower, I can tell you it's not that.

I find the best use of photography (besides stock) is that it is largely about composition and forces us to learn the rules of such.

Char said...

Well then since you already have my addy I'll be expecting the 30 bucks within the next couple of weeks.

Also you made me check my spam box fruitlessly, I hate you for this.

I don't care much for society, but I am not 13. It reminded me of how much the equally small towns around Broadview have that the asshats around here would never do.
For instance people tried for years to get a pool like the other towns had to no avail, because that would take effort. I think even I could be convinced to go for a swim, what with the 40 degree heat we've been experiencing.