Monday, October 24, 2011

Weekends

It's a rare night "off," as it were.  L and I are both a bit under the weather with the change to fall, and she's left for bed.  I'm off soon, but thought to take advantage of the time to share the weekends.

Yesterday was a visit to K^3, who are expecting to add another power to their multi-dimensional forces.  Friends S&N and S&A were there, and P showed up as we were leaving.  The first are also expecting, and the little guy has been pretty active so far.  L stayed home to self nurse:  a bit of achiness and other things.  I made some greetings in her name and promptly stayed a little longer than I probably should have.

Saturday was the annual Unite for the Cure tournament at new/old acquaintances from MC's earlier teaching days.  It was easily the hardest and best competition I've been to.  I think I placed fifth in a division of nine or so.  I toyed with fourth, but didn't make the cut into the second round after the initial elimination.  I think I can say without any arrogance that I would have placed (and probably won) in most other competitions on the strength of my form.  The folks who took 1-3 would have been competitive in the US Open circuit without question.  They're also just good people.  M's Sip Pal was disgustingly good.  The guy who took 3d had one of the best forms of the day period in the first round, running a seriously hot Bassai Sho.  Man, buddy could move.  The girl who took 2d, of the shotokan persuasion, had excellent contrast and effortless movement.  I got goosebumps on her return in the second round.

I was sorely disappointed not to make it into the top four, but I felt like a kid in a candy store watching them all go.  I was soundly embarrassed at fighting (M, whose first move on me when we met some months ago was a 360-jump-spinning hook right off the line; he pulled it to move my helmet.  His control is amazing).  It was a brutal division for it, though, and I think I would've gotten pummeled even if I'd made it out of the round.

The next tourney is in Canada next month.


The previous weekend was apple picking on Sunday:




The place was busy...it seemed like nearly everyone was there.  This father was trying to help his son off of a dirt pile:



Saturday was baby-sitting the neighbors' 7-month-old, as the father was off shooting mule deer in Idaho and his wife and son were at a haunted house.  The baby was cute:




Saturday afternoon was spent mostly with L's grandmother and grandfather, who is 92 and in a home.  He's mostly with it, though he's lost most of his English.  He hates television and has threatened some nurses in the past with his rifle.  He fought in some wars in China a long time ago.  In any case, I told him when we left that I'd be happy to break the television for him, and he laughed.  I'm not sure how much he knows me.

He's some years older than L's grandmother, who seems a practical woman with few flights of fancy.  She laughs readily at my (bad) jokes, probably because she doesn't really understand them.  An endearing trait, nonetheless.

The drive to visit her was gorgeous:




It's way later than it should be, and it's time for bed. 

No comments: