Saturday, November 10, 2007

Coming up with Titles

is the hardest part of blogging.

If you're curious about one of the best reasons for video games, the song at left is your answer.

The week was fairly boring as weeks go, which is a good thing; my not-boring weeks usually involve pain and suffering. I have been bothered by a bit of a cold this week, which has mostly just left me congested. I almost downed a hot toddy to try to help me sleep, but as it happened, the Bailey's didn't play nicely with the lemon juice. There's nothing more appealing than seeing unmixed particles'o'stuff floating around in your drink.

As a consequence of my illness, I slept in Monday and Tuesday, having ingested large quantities of tea and a concoction of honey and lemon. Wednesday was somewhat different; I woke at 5:30 and couldn't really get back to sleep, so I got up and went to work. I was there at 6:45, an unusual time for me.

Instead of getting out of work early, I decided it were better to visit the chiropracter earlier in the day, so I rescheduled for about lunchtime and headed out of the office at the end of the day around 4:15.

The boss was out from Wednesday on, and the marketing guy was out the whole week; so I was basically "the man" from the second-half of the week. Fortunately, I had virtually no responsibilities whatsoever, and basically was able to simply do some bug fixes and other things throughout the end of the week. I wasn't as productive as I wanted, but then I rarely am.


Thursday was a good night's teaching; I was able to drill-and-kill for the first class, and we hit some pretty cool stick work for the second, along with some advanced kicking. When D got the side-pi chugi-round, it was pretty sweet. I can tell my own body is slowing down a little bit compared to where it used to be, but I've still got "ups" as Alex Boone would say. It's fun to see the "wow" on the little guys' faces when we do some of this stuff.

Friday was also good; we were well-attended. Promotions from the last test occurred, and I got some pictures. I did not, however, aggressively position myself, and so most of my pictures kind of stink. I guess there are a couple decent ones, now that I look through them again.

We played kickball against the kids afterwards, which was probably not the best idea given my reduced lung capacity. The instructors have never lost against the the students, though we did tie once. Some of them took it prety hard. We have to win, otherwise pandemonium would break out all over the land.

Afterwards was Bible study, and then sleep. And then this morning, great breakfast courtesy Mom. We are redecorating the bathroom in somewhat manlier colors (I have been showering in a predominantly pink bathroom for a year and a half now). I recommended something a bit earthier, along a chocolate brown with perhaps some rust. Mom complemented with olive and goldenrod. I'll do before and after pictures for the curious.

Monday is the first day for the give one get one initiative from One Laptop Per Child. I'm planning on doing it. It should be fun and hopefully will benefit someone.

In any case, I reek, and I think a shower would fix that problem nicely. Here's to earth tones in the bathroom.

7 comments:

Char said...

YOU [bad word that I am trying to use less of here].

THAT is where I got this cold from. I have decided this is your fault and no amount of logic on your part will dissuade me from this position.

[bad word again].

Don't you use whiskey? Whiskey and honey are the magic hot toddy ingredients. I usually add tea to it instead of plain water-you have to let it cool slightly before you add the booze though. I ended up having to make huge hot toddies this week AND I actually drank them. There's a reason one of the euphemisms for drunkenness is "feeling no pain". Ahhhhhhh.

You know if you paint your bathroom in the right earth tones, any accidents common to your family line would be well disguised. Good call there.

Char said...

How do you know whether such colour schemes are to my taste or not? You still have no familiarity with the A&C movement I see.

Admittedly one of my quirks (this of course being one of the minor ones on a long list) is irritation over the broad use of the term "earth tone". Earth tones are natural, therefore if the pigment is synthetic then it's not really an earth hue. Especially if you're planning on using latex.

At the risk of going on a hippydippy sounding rant, I have to say I that find synthetic approximations of true earth tones to be dull and lifeless-artificial (and therefore ironic) means of placating a desire for the natural. As such their artifice becomes ugly and suffocating. They have none of the vibrancy, luminosity or nuance of true earth hues and this makes me avoid them in general.

Okay that was another weird little trip into my mind. Apparently I have too much familiarity with A&C. Heh.

I already know you sent clinjas with a jar of your cold germs to Saskatoon. Sinister, but not spooky.

Char said...

In their rarer forms, blue and red can both be earth tones you know.

My favorite colours tend to be jewel tones (which are not brights as some retarded people assert but full chroma [saturated] cool mutes. There is another quirk-I think I will be able to write a book soon) but since I do natural dyes I can hardly avoid the more rare and delicate colour range.

Thanks for sharing your non-life with us. Listen to the colour of your dreams.

Char said...

I wonder whether your selective memory selected that.

So how many comments did it come out to anyway?

Char said...

As long as it's not pootribution.

Have you pieced the comment together yet? I made sure that they would not be in order in your inbox as a special treat.

What do you mean sort of? Either you had a dream and I was there or not.
Was I beating you in the dream? Then maybe it is a prophetic one.

Char said...

Lawlcatz neckst tyem!!!

Don't worry if you are stinky my dog will still like you. He is stinky too. While it sounds logical that I'd try to avoid your stench, I think I was likely leaving to find a short handled shovel or something to hit you with. I don't do anything logically you know.

You continue to underestimate my resourcefulness.

Char said...

I could have been stockpiling dog mines.

Trailers don't have hardwood anything so it couldn't have been my house. You must know some other crazy person and you are confusing them with me.

No no I need something heavy. I never had much success with little things. Of course I'd have several potential weapons handy, this is what resourcefulness is all about. And getting others to do the dirty work.