Saturday, July 28, 2007

Business

I'm busy (not) packing. And (not) working. This week was fruitless in terms of the things I wanted-slash-needed to do for work, so I spent a couple hours in the office today to try to go through a couple things. I didn't really do anything, but I did find a couple things out for when I return, if I can remember any of them by the time I return.

I am, indeed, finally leaving for Kenya. It's really hard to think about sometimes, and, in fact, I'm not sure if this entry is going to make any sense whatsoever. The only real preparations I've made to leave involve buying a piece of luggage and three three-ounce containers to pass through TSA unmolested. I know that one week's worth of clothes will fit comfortably in my suitcase, and I know I'm going to take my camera. I think I might take my tripod also.

Um, and perhaps some books and writing material. Hopefully I will be able to consistently actually write about the trip and perhaps even learn something. I'm using the word Perhaps too much.

Perhaps.


So, the week. The Hillside entry covers the interesting bits. I taught Thursday and Friday, then visited Bible Study and J, J, and T afterward. We illed like villains for a few hours, played some Carcassonne, and then talked about funny things like Chuck Norris.

T and J's other friend M are hoping to get jobs where J works, which means we might have a few more people in the mix for illin like villains. You know.


Between these paragraphs is some delay. M called and let me know he just got in from Holland, where work sent him for fun. I had called him while he was out. He really enjoyed it quite a bit, and maybe that will be another place to go, after R and I get back from Patagonia next year? The age of civilization shows there in ways it doesn't here, I suppose...and that's one of the things I like.

He told me about an open square, used as a market on the weekdays. There's a new church and and old church on either end. He liked the flowers, the age, and the weather. Despite being overcast, it was very pleasant—in the mid-sixties, he said. It actually sounded like it was a great trip, though very brief (a couple days). He left wanting to go back, which is always the best ending.


And another delay. Dinner this time, which was salmon. And potatoes. Starchy goodness. I love potatoes.


So, honestly, I didn't get much done today at all. I am basically a slacker. And I'm going to be up all night tonight doing some packing and other things. It'll be fun, and I will be a little tired tomorrow. But that's okay.

The long and short of it is that I'm going to be completely incommunicado after Monday afternoon for two weeks. I won't have my phone, I won't have Internet, I won't be checking email. I'll think of you all, worry not. You can consider this your last call for postcards. I have a list.

3 comments:

Char said...

That is a frickin terrible mess, especially given that each of my suggestions were gold in their original form. This is just like when you mix all the colours together-the colour you end up with looks like poo.

So did the piece of luggage happen to be a purse for men?

Why did you take the time to write out the word slash? Why not just type /?

You used the word perhaps a whole two times before you said you used it too much. For the record.

The verification word is wtkssjw-the text message a girl would send to her boyfriend when she breaks up him for being a Jehovah's Witness.

Char said...

You know how text messages miss half the letters of the words and make no sense right? Well that one says "I won't kiss a JW."

Did you just say very bag you own is a man purse? Ohhh. Very telling, that.

Char said...

Have a nice day.