Saturday, May 12, 2007

The thing about beards...

... is that you can get used to it while it's growing. But when you shave, you have to get used to that all at once:



I predict I will regrow this week. Shaving short beard hairs is extremely difficult. I shaved mostly because I have found myself pulling out my hair (on my face, not my head). I really just needed to trim it a bit shorter. Nonetheless, the shave reminded me that I am befreckled.


This has been a fairly profitable week. It's hard to believe, but Thursday marked my one-year anniversary at work. The boss passed along a raise yesterday, and a fairly generous one, making me even more over-compensated than I was before. I also scored my first coup at work—a company evaluating our software was so pleased with my support of their bugs that they decided to purchase the enterprise edition, which is about nineteen grand. So I paid for my raise pretty handily. Getting a complimentary email usually makes my day, as I normally feel like a nitwit at work. And the boss seemed like he was pleased with the work I'd been doing during the past year; he doesn't often provide feedback, and so I'm not always sure if he's happy with the job I'm doing.

I finished the day teaching, training, and visiting with J, J, P, and T. We played a five player game of Carcassonne, and J and I were trounced (we're the black and blue; T is red):



It was a lot of fun. We stayed up afterward to watch about half of Army of Darkness, which is really pretty hilarious. Hard to believe that the man responsible for bringing us Spiderman is also responsible for this cult classic. In any case, many laughs were had

I taught Thursday, and at least one student was pleased with how it all went. But it was pretty crazy again. I need to learn better classroom management skills. We basically did some fighting drills and then fought all night. It was pretty exhilirating for them, but still hard to manage, and to keep tabs on everyone...and I know at least a couple people were disappointed. Next week it goes to drill, though, and I think it'll be okay.

Wednesday was a boring day, complete with picture taking and a trip to the back doctor.

Tuesday K and I trained outside. She'll test at the end of the month for orange belt. Working outside was pretty fun; it's been awhile since I've done it, and it was thoroughly enjoyable. I hate shoes and socks, as a rule (I wrote "sockets" there first; I think I've been doing too much network programming lately), and getting my feet dirty was awesome. We started some new material and put on a small show for the next door neighbors.

Monday was another boring day, thank goodness. It's strange not to train Mondays still, but I'm pleased at how much easier the new karate schedule makes the week. I'm grateful for the extra sleep, certainly; this week was not nearly as tiring as the previous weeks have been.


Today's plans mostly involve cleaning, as I have let almost everything go. Tomorrow is Mom's day, a bit of training possibly, and perhaps winding down the day with a round of video games. Awesome-tastic.

6 comments:

Char said...

Man you look all of 10 in that picture.

hahah

Okay I can't say anything since I always get carded-or told by snotty waitresses that they don't serve minors. Or asked what grade I'm in in school, or whether my clothing is tax exempt (when there still was an exemption on purchases for people under 14) I think I was about 24 when they got rid of it and they were still asking me.

Congrats on your raise. I got a raise last month, not because I'm particularly good or special but because I belong to a massive union. Solidarity, baby!

I work shift work and the morning shift begins at 6. Often they phone at 5 to fill the day shift if someone is sick. That is definitely Le Suck.

Liberals are horrible in the non-salvific sense.


At N'ness, my name was frequently linked to things like "hell" and "assistant manager". I don't know why...

It's amazing that you thought of an answer to t'waffle last night when I did not post that comment until this morning. Your towel works!!

I bet you wish you you could tap into the part of the universal consciousness that knew what t'waffle actually meant.

Char said...

Okay I admit I'm afraid of your gravitas and your beard to-be.

How could you not have accused me of bad grammar anyway? Haven't you noticed how many sentences I begin with the word "and"?! AND that's the edited version. Oh wait, YOU also did this in your next-to-last comment. Ah ha.
I like sentence fragments too.

Char said...

Is a can of gravitas anything like this ? Indeed a scary thing.

So what's your standard for grammar anyway-if you write it it's not bad grammar? OR if you write it, bad grammar is kreeyative?

Char said...

Okay I was going to finish posting my thought when I got back and you've already replied. Am I correct in assuming that since you are talking about grammar you've got nothing else?

This was the rest of the comment from before:

My dad trimmed his beard with scissors also. I thought everyone did.

Speaking of beards, you may appreciate one we used to irritate my dad with-if you grow your beard long enough you can just sweep it up and pile it on your head (he wore his beard long and shaggy in the summer).

The funnier part of that joke is that we had a shirt-tail relation (and I stress the shirt-tail part) who did just that-grew his hair (head hair though) long and piled it in a coil on top of his head to cover his bald spot. One of the other family members saw it at a family gathering and hollered at him from across the room in the loudest possible voice "Johhny there's a turd on your head!!"
I can't remember if that stopped him doing it or not. Probably not.

Wonder why I make the point of saying that I do not share genes with them? They are good for just up and saying what polite people are thinking though, which makes for all around entertainment. Unless it's you they're railing of course.


And that probably says a lot about my family.

Carin said...

Sounds like a pretty good week!! I am jealous of your raise. And I like the no beard picture. :)

Char said...

Your insult of my mom was too lame to get upset about. Sorry. Besides I have a way better beard than my mom.

I am glad to know you have taken my cautionary tale to heart and will never do the hair-turd thing. That includes comb-overs, btw.

Also I probably wouldn't call that side of my family nice. No matter how overused the word may be, it still doesn't really fit most of them.