Saturday, April 21, 2007

Contentment

Calling today beautiful would be an understatement of horrific degree. I have been out to take pictures today at Marsh Creek, a state park near home more recently featured in a walk around the house. It was a gorgeous day, and I took full advantage. I was thisclose to getting a sweet shot of a bumble bee. It just didn't happen.

Most of the week has already been detailed in previous entries, though I should mention that I put up some desktop screenshots. These probably won't interest anyone, but they're up nonetheless.


The week was mostly spent teaching and upgrading. Work was exceptionally busy, which meant that I was actually reasonably productive this week (which is not always the case). I still have plenty to do. The boss is going away to Finland for the week on Monday, which means I'll have a little less direction than normal, right when it's time learn about some of the cool features of our software. But such is life.

Thursday, I received a rather high compliment from my karate instructor—that it was going to be a long three years. It was nice of him to say. Karate is really the only thing I'm skilled at, and there's a lot of satisfaction in being regarded highly for it.

Yesterday was a long day. Teaching went very well—unusual for a Friday with a lot of restless children excited for the weekend. Afterward was BS. We started outside, which was nice. It wasn't chilly, but it was definitely cool, and we went in after a little while. We naturally followed this up with iced cream afterwards. And some coffee. It was an enjoyable time...a lot of laughs and some good questions, I think. Laughing is always good.

I found out one of the guys there is also a martial artist with about ten years of experience, so I invited him to come move in the studio sometime. He's a Japanese artist, mainly—from the West, where that style is more prevalent I think. (It must be something in the air. There's actually a Naginata school out in California; I think it's the only one in the States, but I could be wrong.)

Today was actually a late wake-up for me (I got to bed around 12:30 this morning). I made some breakfast with Dad, ate, tweaked a few more computer things (I'm an addict), showered, and then got my hair cut. This is how I diet, actually—I cut my hair. I got home, made sure I could watch DVDs, and cleaned up some. Not as much as needed, but enough, and now I can move around in the office some. After cleaning and food, I decided it was time to enjoy the day, so I went out to Marsh Creek. It was a lot of fun. The weather and scenery were both very pretty, and it wasn't too busy. One of the bad things about living here is that there are too many people.

Tomorrow I expect to meet up with some "new" students for some karate lessons. Unfortunately, we can't meet in the middle due to some complications about the amount of time my instructor is allowed to spend at his school. (Go figure.) So I'll be bussing myself to the gym and back. I suppose it's good that I have literally nothing else to do this weekend except laundry. I can get some rest, perhaps.

5 comments:

Char said...

I thought you were also skilled at being mean. I'm disappointed to know the truth.

My room was/is less like a window to a wondrous land and more like, well, the black hole of Calcutta. You know, death and outrage and all that.

I wonder whose good idea sticks with knives on them was-I just searched and came up with one on ebay, readily available-fools!
Come to think of it, the hellions like fighting with sticks, maybe I could give them one each and let them fight to the death. I'd prolly make good money on tickets to that.

Okay not really because I'd probably get in trouble for it.

If I did (and I'm not saying I am) my money would totally be on hellion #2-that kid is a tough little mofo while his brother is spindly and does nothing but burn his eyes out on computer games.

Do you think that guy in the picture is wearing farthingales?


I have no idea where that came from. I think I've drank too much caffeine and am bored.

Char said...

Bwahahaha I find the fact that you did not know what I was referring to hilarious.
YOU were the one who linked to the knife-stick article with the farthingale guy.

Also, it says Japanese WOMEN handle these things-so if you are too short, that makes you what, four foot nine?

The hellions would improvise. They are masters in the art of destruction, especially hellion #2. #1 is just a master in never listening, whining, and making your head explode in frustration-which I suppose is it's own form of destruction-that of everyone's sanity.

Still maybe I'll wait until they're 12 or so to stage the knife-stick match of DOOM. Of course by that time my estimations may change as behbeh-hellion would have to be factored in...Uh if I were going to do something like that, which I'm not...

yet anyway.

Yes I know I need to move away from Bumble...Ah crap.

Char said...

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAH

When you were counting your skills, were you humbly forgetting your obvious mastery of the Freudian slip?
Man I almost peed when I read that.

Char said...

Well maybe it's me who reads Freudian slips into what people say. I had a friend who was always having to say "that's not what I meant!" while in our company. Usually a minute or two after we all started roaring laughing.

I never knew SK people were perceived as stiff-upper-lip types, I always thought of us more as a rabble of drunk farmers and Indians. It's nice to know someone out there has a better image of us, no matter how false.

Char said...

What made it so funny was the addition of "that came out totally wrong." Somehow that just amped up the hilarity factor to 11.

Don't feel particularly bad about not knowing what to call Saskatchewan people, no one else-us included-does either. Most often you hear Saskatchewanian. We just say, Indian province boyah!

And the farmers usually get their 24's or mickeys from the LB (that is liquor board store)-I don't know of many (successful) moonshine operations. Though come to think of it alcohol was our major export in the time of prohibition.