Another busy and enjoyable week. I spent most of it at work and teaching, as usual, but we had a busy Friday with a breaking clinic. I swung by my instructor's place and also took some photos of his fish tank.
Monday was a fairly standard day; work, teaching, chiropractor. I had a re-exam at the docs, where they basically said, "Hey, your back is getting better, we think." They made a couple changes and issued me some new exercises. My back really is in decent shape, though I have a right thoracic shift that definitely needs to be corrected. I can feel it in the way I sit and sleep.
Since K is auditioning at Bard, I had Tuesday off, and spent it mostly working, taking a few pictures, and trying to get some miscellaneous things done around. I didn't accomplish nearly as much as I wanted.
Wednesday was more of the same. Another night off, thank goodness, and a little more sleep. I needed it.
Thursday was a bit different. I usually teach, but Dad was off at an AMWA meeting and Mom needed a lift to the chiropractor herself. I decided that this would be a good time to hit another one of their "half-hour to health" workshops. These tend to be informative and annoying at the same time. Holistic care is fine, I suppose, but there's no real consensus about how it should be done, and so you end up getting a lot of ideas that seem strange. This one was about nutrition, which is a good subject. And most of what he said I liked. But the part about dairy being bad for you was a little ugh. (Mom was like, "I disagree." If you know Mom, you know what I mean.)
Friday was a long day. The clinic started after class, so around 6:15. It was supposed to be two hours and lasted about two and a half. That's not too bad for us, I guess. I got a LOT of sweet pictures, only a few of which I've shared online. They turned out really well. Most of them are grainy, having been shot with 3200 ISO. In retrospect, I probably could've dropped to 1600 for some of them, but I was having a hard time getting above 1/500 shutter speed otherwise, and 250 usually isn't enough to get quality stills.
I found a "special" board, so I did the climb. (By "special" I mean "pre-broken," basically. There was a large crack in it.) I haven't practiced it in almost four years, though I did do a couple runs at a breaking clinic with the ATA a couple years ago. I also ended up cutting my heel at that time, and I still have the scar. I'm in considerably better shape now than I was then, so these came out a bit better. I kept all three shots that they showed—one is a practice, and I'm horribly out of position. On the second, I did basically everything right and overshot the board by roughly two parsecs. The third was worse, but I broke it, so all was right in the world.
We also got some pictures of many other cool breaks, so I was pleased.
The fish pictures are also trés (as in trés cuteé) awesome. The fish tank is absolutely beautiful. I think I took about 200 pictures of it after I got to his place. (He's sick as a dog, incidentally.) Some of them came out REALLY well, and I'm very pleased. Others weren't so good, but I took enough to compensate for it.
Plans for today basically include going to get some of these pictures printed, picking up some rather necessary toiletries (to avoid the smell, you see), cleaning the bathroom (yes, again, it's been a month already, quit your whining), and perhaps picturing a bit again later. The weather is pretty nice here—54 degrees and sunny. It's rained the past few days, which has cleared out some of the snow and left some places rather muddy. This kind of pre-spring weather is awesome. I love it.
Longer term, I'm working on setting up a road trip to Calgary to visit M. I haven't heard from the relations in Kenya, so I'm thinking it may be better to postpone that trip for awhile. I figure I can swing by Columbus (I was invited to a 22nd birthday party for a former student; I declined) for a day or two, maybe pick up the Doof, then up to Michigan to visit Grandma. And perhaps from there to Canada via the Upper Peninsula, which I've never seen, and then west. We'll see. It's a bit difficult to coordinate schedules and everything.
Time to breathe again and hope for as good a day today as yesterday. Song of the week is awesome. I should add her new album to my list.
And this is my SO HA! moment of the month.
9 comments:
People bother you about your anal retentive cleaning? Harridans.
:)
If you drive the #1 though Canada you will get to see the lovely town of Chaplin SK! If you ever wanted a preview of the valley of Gehenna, you won't want to miss it.
You know that is an incredibly long drive though. It takes about 10 hours to get to Calgary from here, and we don't have to also cross Manitoba and Ontario.
The pieday pie was apple, and quite good. I got one of my res's up in the morning and she said "Is it Friday? we get pie!" then she thought for a minute and said "It better not be raisin!" So she was not disappointed. I guess she knows that the true meaning of life is pie.
Lastly, don't those people at that forum know that 30 is the new 18? That's why I don't have to be responsible yet.
Dude, I read that comment and thought WTH? You wouldn't happen to be liquored up would you?
For the record, I have nothing against straight leg jeans. It's skinny jeans (As in tapered and tight to the ankles) that I revile. Think 1986. Then wash your brain like you do your bathroom.
That old lady can be quite funny. She loves to sing really loud and off key, and one time I asked her if she wanted to go out to the singing because "(resident), you sing nice and loud."
Without a hint of irony she replied "well I'm welsh, dear-we are all good singers." It was SO hard not to laugh right there.
The colours of your fish pictures are nice and vivid. the ability to get good prints is somewhere close to pie and new art supplies in the power list of happinesses I'm sure.
Hey. I like that kind of pre-spring weather, too. It's... hopeful. :)
And... you should definitely pick up the doof.
And... I saw your pictures, very awesome, I must admit. Kudos.
And... I don't know. Bye.
Wearing your pants in your socks is forgivable provided you were under 12 years old in 1986. If not, well there's not a lot of hope for you is there.
I wear socks most of the time, even to bed. Cold feet is one of the ten plagues isn't it?
To understand the hilarity of the old lady's statement, you must have heard her sing. when I was on my practicum, one of the other residents hauled off and whacked her while she was singing and told her to shut up! We had to separate them. Ah hahaha I miss that lady.
Doof, can you get time off? I definitely don't want to make a long trip like that alone.
My boss will pretty much give me time off whenever. I don't know when you're planning on going but I DO have the last two weeks off in June already I believe.... I am planning on getting together with some of my college friends for at least part of that time but that's all still up in the air. Anyway so that time may be a possibility, but pretty much anytime would probably work - my boss is always paranoid she's working me too much (which she doesn't) and I'm going to get burned out so generally whenever I do want time off she'll gladly grant it. Do you have any kind of time frame in mind yet? Just let me know and I'll most likely be able to work around it.
No, I don't have a good timetable. M doesn't have a fixed schedule there, yet. We're working on it. Also, did you know the real money is in phone books?
Hey! If you stop through the 'Bus, I can find some time to hang out a bit. I'll probably be half-crazed and sleep-deprived, but it'd be nice to catch up.
I haven't been checking in too much, I have been working many double shifts lately. My life currently consists of working and trying hard to sleep for as much of the (usually) 8 hours between shifts as I can. I refuse to work today. They can phone all they want, I won't answer.
Okay I am done ranting.
As you know I think On the Incarnation is a wonderful read. I have only ever read online editions though and have often thought I'd like to bind my own edition of it with block print illustrations. If I ever do it, I'll send you one-though my list of prospective projects is quite extensive, and I think page order might do me in.
I am also still working on John Owen, getting past the run-on sentences. I think he could have used a good editor...
To your friend Tim: are those finger guns? Heh. :)
Post a Comment