Sunday, February 25, 2007

We Marched as Kings and Conquerors

Song of the week goes out to my bud in MI for his new house. Hope things settle down.


It's been a busy one. I had Monday off, which was nice, but the day started fairly early with a trip to the chiropractor's office, where they bent and cracked me. The shoulder is more or less okay, but still stiff and sore on occasion. I taught at the latter end of the day and tumbled rather exhausted into bed.

Tuesday was teaching, also. A planned trip to hear a talk on science and religion with T didn't pan out as she had some extra work to do. It was just as well, as it would've made a long day longer. I taught K then did some work from home. I guess if I were more efficient while I actually was at work, I wouldn't have to do that. (Darn you, Youtube, and your Whose Line videos!)

Wednesday was a day "off," as I simply had to work. I don't remember Wednesday very clearly. It's probably good. I went to the chiropractor in the afternoon and then home. I didn't get to bed as early as I wanted, I don't think, because I was tired all day Thursday.

Thursday was fairly typical, a day of work, chiro, and teaching. Turns out that Wendy is quitting her restaurant. The area is rather depressed, and she can't afford to keep it anymore. We have enjoyed her Chinese food for the six years we've been at the facility, and we are going to miss her greatly. She's not just a good cook, but also a friend. Monday will be the last time, I think, that I can eat there while she's around. We tried for a picture, but it didn't come out. I'll try again.

Friday was also fairly normal. Work in the afternoon, karate in the evening, a shortened BS, and visiting with J+J at Barnes and Noble, the bookstore of Satan. I purchased a couple books and a card for another J (how is it that J is one of the least-used letters in our alphabet, but one of the most common in names????) on some gift cards. And a coffee. The coffee was definitely not worth it. The books so far have proved interesting. I'm looking forward to the History of Philosophy as I get into it more deeply. The next volume is Ockhamism, which is really, I guess, the birth of nominalism. So I guess I'll get some good info on Realism (this volume stretches from Augustine to Duns Scotus)? We'll see.

Friday night was interesting, as Orion was very bright.

Saturday was a longish day. I slept in (thank goodness, such a difficult thing), ate, took care of a few things, and then taught. It went well—her body memory is good and the technique is mostly clean. Little things here and there, but my retentiveness has been paying off. We'll go in sometime to have her given the once-over, get a uniform and a couple belts.

After teaching I grabbed a little snack, then trained into Philly to see J at The Franklin Institute. We didn't stay for very long, but long enough to see the planetarium show, which concerned Egyptian understanding of the stars. It's interesting that the north star for them was a different one than for us, since Earth wobbles on her axis. The view was not the greatest—our seats required a rather annoying amount of neck craning and things. The chiropractor will not be pleased with me on Monday.

Training into the city required that I drive some half an hour to a train station that conformed to my schedule, which was annoying. I had originally intended to drive, but it didn't take much persuading to do it the other way. I hate driving in the city. Hate it, hate it, hate it. Give me thin roads with cows any day. In any case, I almost missed the train, both coming and going. It was a little frustrating, but no harm done, and well worth it to visit J and company. Walking through the city was a bit of a treat, too, in some respects.

I passed by some old memories while I was there—the Rose Tattoo Cafe and others. I had a brief chat with a Polish (I think) gentleman as he was closing up his shop. He helped me get my bearings to the train station, which was easier to locate on foot than by the car ride provided by M, who was graciously patient with me. Organization has never been one of the strong points in this particular group, so it's easy to be frustrated.

The city continues to be one of my least favorite places. The architecture awes and the culture dazzles, but it is a pit in so many ways.


It is Sunday. I slept in again, so as to try to catch up a bit on sleep. I'm doing laundry at the moment, waiting for it to finish so I can drop it in the dryer before the late service, after which I'll stop by work to pick up some paperwork for a high-yield savings account I opened. After that is a short trip to the grocery store for Mom, who needs a few things for our pot roast lunch.

It should be a good day, if I can stay awake. If I can't, at least I will probably fall asleep in a book.

6 comments:

Sydira said...

Glad you made it to the train after all that hunting we did for the station. I'm curious to find out where the station actually was, or more importantly how many times we passed it before we gave up and dropped you off at Whole Foods.

Either way, I owe you a HUGE thank you (or $13.75) for coming out yesterday. It meant a lot.

Char said...

I hate most bookstores. They never have any good theology books to cover the Bishop Spong and prosperity "books" (if book were a synonym for the most idiotic garbage to foment in the dark heart of stupidity) with. And the art section usually sucks.

I can't sympathize with your hatred of the city, as "city" to me means Regina and Saskatoon, hee. Technically you could walk them-not that you would really want to do so around north-central...uh, other than that they are great.

As to your comment, I instantly liked J&H, mainly because most christians would use the story as a metaphor for "others"-nasty hypocritical people, not like us. Who in that industry but Bob would say, no, I am the nasty hypocrite(as are we all)? BOO YA.

In the artydeco world, there are themes/styles that get a little overdone, and I'm all for trying to give them an unexpected twist-the masquerade deco was one of those.

Also I stupidly googled "shoes made of tires". Thanks for causing the painful retinal burning that ensued.

Char said...

The cardinals are so pretty!
All you need to keep your bird feeder safe is a couple of swallows. Not too long ago I watched a swallow chase a squirrel down the street. Said squirrel was terrified-I don't think he has returned yet.
The downside though is that there is no guarantee the swallows won't also dive bomb other birds, vehicles, members of your household, or anything else that moves.

BTW snow and it's respective cold wetness is the reason snow boots exist.

As for CIP, I don't know if you noticed there is a link in my sidebar for it which goes to a picture trail site. This is where the Coloring Song and all other works for the project are housed.

Char said...

Okay the diminutive size of the thousand miler makes it rather cute. A man's size 12 probably would be much less so.

As for CIP, see I wasn't being as lazy as you thought in regards to long-term obsessions-I mean projects, projects.
If you click on view image for the coloring song, it's a pretty large image.

Char said...

Bwa cryptosporidium?! I happen to have a bad case of helminthophobia (which extends to other things like crypto and so on). Oh the horrors!

Thanks a lot for bringing that up. Now I won't be able to sleep.

Char said...

Can I blame this on vodka and orange? I knew I should have ordered that!!