There is little to report, but since (I changed this from "as" because of Mrs Robinson) time avails, I am writing.
I will be going to a karate gym rotation today, which should be a lot of fun. I am very slow and out of shape, so I expect to come back having gotten kicked several times, probably in places that we'd best not talk about in public forum.
I am moving out of my house in a few short days—by the end of the week, actually—and into an apartment. As soon as that is done, I will be able to order Soundtrack of a Soul, which is exciting. And the Farewell DVD. It's hard to order things when you don't have a solid address.
I did my taxes this past week, too, and am pleased that I'll be getting a little money back. It'll go right into savings. Ohio taxed me for working in Florida. That is because all states are bastards. It's quite unfortunate, but also true. The good news is that Florida has no income tax. They make up for it in sales tax, I think, or use taxes, or something, but I usually don't have to pay those, so I'm pleased. I ran the numbers last night and realized that if I worked in Philly for what Drexel was prepared to offer, I would've been making effectively $14k less than working down south.
Yikes.
I also finished Knife of Dreams. A knife appeared ONCE in the entire book. (Did you notice that? It's the knife that Aviendha was going to give Elayne but didn't.) As a result, there is little to no reason to title the book that, except to hint that we're probably going to see another six books of the knife story arc. Other than this piddling detail, though, it was actually pretty decent, and a fair sight better than the last few of the Wheel of Time. To be honest, The Lord of the Rings was just as epic without the length.
I was contemplating this the other day, and why book-to-movie translations usually aren't that good. And it's just because there's no good way to say, "Aragorn turned away from Cerin Amroth, Frodo's hand in his, and came there never again as a living man" (paraphrased from memory, I apologize) in a movie.
Goosebumps from sudden twists of plot and scary characters just aren't a good substitute. I will say this, however, for the Fellowship movie: the scene where Aragorn and Boromir discuss Minas Tirith is quite moving—and the dialog is not in the book, as I recall.
I finished up my book of Chesterton's essays, also, and have found it to be quite refreshing. Enough so, incidentally, that I'm starting over from the beginning, since it has taken me some months to go through them all.
All that being said, I need to get some food in my belly before I go off to expend wonderful energy fighting people I have never met. Er is in New York for the day and part of tomorrow, so it is unlikely that we'll see much more of each other until Easter. She is not feeling well at all.
I hope you like the new template.
Until next time, I remain most tenderly yours,
tiny e
1 comment:
missed you.
Post a Comment