So it's been a busy week.
Er showed up last Thursday to go apartment hunting. She was ill for most of the trip—a fever that came and went, though it had mostly gone by Monday. Sleep was fleeting between her aunt's and a ghetto-fabulous (henceforth GhetFab) EconoLodge, which didn't help matters. A touch of the flu has gone around in my family as well (and with my landlord), so I'm probably next on the chopping block.
Our search proved successful; I put some money down on a place yesterday. It's a pretty decent neighborhood, if a little more urban than I'm used to, and has a pretty healthy set of amenities for the price, which is fairly typical for Orlando, I think. It's not as good as my deal now, but I guess I'll probably not be spending too much money on plane tickets anymore, so that's a bit of a savings there.
Er will likely have to live with me for about a month while she looks for a job—it's hard to find apartments without a verifiable income. The good news is that she can probably temp in medical facilities while waiting to get her Florida certification, which could take a little while.
I found this out while giving blood Monday, which was pretty painless and way overdue. (I'm O- and have the best veins you've seen for donations. Vampires take note: I can kick you out of your fangs.) CDA has a drive every few months; the next will probably come up in May.
My program manager was upset that it took so long for me to give blood—I guess she's been doing so for a very long time.
On Monday evening, we went to visit J with some of his students (around 225 I think) who had been performing at Disney. They were staying at the All-star Sports Resort Hotel, which was fairly well appointed but colored on the outside somewhat like a brothel. Their friend A also came along; she moved to Orlando recently but is looking to relocate to PA again.
It was a good time, though I'd been up at five on Monday and was getting up at five on Tuesday so that I could get in a good six hours at work (by 12) and then complete the apartment hunt. It was a lot of fun to hang out—it's been awhile since I've had a chance to do that. Going back and forth between here and PA has been pretty strenuous, both physically and socially.
Tuesday before I drove Er back to the airport, we stopped by Lido's, a Mom'n'Pop Italian place in Orlando. The food was pretty good, though the breading for Er's chicken parm was pretty damaging and made our parting quite hasty. I had the lasagna, which was good. Hopefully I'll have the opportunity to go back sometime soon.
Couple cool things in the music world: Petra's final video performance is the Farewell DVD, which has generated a few good reviews. And Liberty'n'Justice has put up a couple songs from Soundtrack of a Soul on their Myspace page that sound pretty good. "Noise" is from Welcome to the Revolution (an album that had pretty nasty production and the feel of something pretty under budget), but "Flinch" (sung by Tony Harnell of TNT/Starbreaker) and "Grenade" (Dale Thompson of Bride) are new and substantially better (at least in terms of production; you might not care so much for the musical direction).
I also ran into a pretty sweet blog by way of Blogger Buzz. It's by a homeless guy who blogs from local libraries; it's a kind of homeless survival guide. Check it out—it's interesting.
I am also hoping to get back to work on my web page, so I'll finally have something more personal up; it'll be an offshoot of the one that's up there now. I'm trying to separate my personal pages from the professional, keeping the personal somewhat off-the-radar (just for the folks who know and love me; all haters can get a swift Chuck Norris round-house kick to the face.
So until then, I remain yours,
tiny e
No comments:
Post a Comment