Saturday, January 07, 2006

Oh Yeah

This came in the mail over break:



I thought it was pretty sweet, too. It's official now, I guess.


I started working on a paper about my research as well, producing an outline yesterday. Hopefully I'll have a working draft of the introduction soon. My advisor contacted me about publishing in IEEE's Transactions on Pattern Matching and Machine Intelligence (TPAMI or PAMI for short) about a month ago, and I'm finally getting to it. Reading 3000 pages in two weeks kind of kept me busy, I guess, and then vacation and all that.

And I still contend that O How The Mighty Have Fallen is a sweet album. I've not listened to it exclusively for the past few days (Amarantine and Benediction have both taken up a few cycles on my computer), but I do appreciate the writing a lot, even if it suffers from every-track-sounds-similar-ism. Cmmon Children (another of Marc Byrd's creative enterprises) had the same problem with The Inbetween Time.


While it's been an up week for a lot of things, China's stock went down. My boss told me that the schedule for Maritime is getting pushed back, so instead of completing coding right before I would leave with Er and DHS for the Orient, I'll probably be starting work then. It's a major project at a critical juncture, and they're equivocating on when I can take two weeks of vacation.

So a few possibilities exist: I may not go at all (in the which case Er will probably also back out), or I may try to tailor my trip to a week's worth. Seeing China is something I have wanted to do for a very long time, and I would hate to miss this because of scheduling SNAFUs at work. I won't have firm dates for the project for a couple weeks, and given the rather raised voices I heard from the Program Manager's office, she's quite unhappy that the project might be pushed back. So we'll see.


I'll leave you with some quotes from a couple of the songs I like off OHTMHF (Oh-teh-muff):

Nobody Gets a Smooth Ride

High flyers oughta use nets…
Hold on tight to the bar
Circus trapeze star
What a shame should you fall to your death
High flyers oughta use nets

I’m really sorry the way things are going…
Nobody gets a smooth ride


Mercy Will Prevail

In the thrust of a bayonet
In the hour of deep regret
In a world gone insane
In the eye
In the eye of a hurricane


(You have to understand that the title of the song follows each of those lines. So "In the thrust of the bayonet (Mercy Will Prevail)" and so on and so forth.)

No comments: