Sunday, October 02, 2005

Hail 2

Greetings from Orlando.

I am in Florida, as you have no doubt ascertained. I would have written earlier, but it was difficult to get the Internet working here. And I was in Ft Myers Beach for Joann's wedding (she's Ericka's aunt).

I find it unlikely that this entry will be remotely interesting, but I expect that the following days will provide fodder for discussion. (It is equally likely, unfortunately, that I will not have time to discuss.)

The last leg of my move went uneventfully, save at the beginning, when someone attempted to run me off the road and succeeded. I survived (and so did the other, much to my chagrin) and arrived in Orlando about eight hours later, give or take.

Drivers in Florida are terrible. If you think your state has bad drivers--and I have driven in Ohio and Pennsylvania extensively and used to think people there could not drive--you are wrong. Floridians regularly drive in the left-hand lane going slower than the speed limit. These are not old people, either, though Florida has its share of them, too. These are young people, probaby college-aged who may even be able to integrate ln(x). Math skills notwithstanding (girls only like guys with skills, don't forget), they cannot drive worth a lick.

It drives me nuts, and it may contribute to my eventual move away from the state. (However, Ericka's presence elsewhere will be the main factor.)


Joann's wedding was successful; she and Sal tied the knot on the beach between downpours. As "Mrs Ericka" put it, "Mother called in a favor." Regardless of whether it was Nan's fault or not, the wedding occurred outside.

As we walked out, Ericka and I were good-naturedly picking on each other, and she head-butted me (she thought I would forget to write about this, but I obviously didn't). The DJ for the Tiki bar witnessed the event and said, "She's beautiful, but you've gotta watch out for her." He asked me if I needed any help. The look on his face was classic and will remain one of my abiding good memories of the weekend (and probably my relationship with Ericka).

In any case, the ceremony was quick (I like that), and the food was good. Sal made some of his sauces, I think. Er and I danced some (she danced, anyway). I commiserated with some of the family through the evening. We left early, having been very tired for several days.


Ericka's teaching conference was a waste of time, save for the last day, but as wastes of time go, it's nice to do it at a Westin hotel. I visited to pick her up (incidentally, there was an accident on 275 around Tampa that backed up traffic for five miles--you can imagine that this irked me to no end, having already been upset about how poorly Floridians drive) and can confirm that it's a cool place.

So her teaching resumes tomorrow, and my work begins tomorrow. I will be going in at ten, probably getting back around six, give or take. I am thinking of you all as I do, never fear. Until tomorrow, though, I must remain devotedly yours,


E

2 comments:

Carin said...

*hugs* and *loves*

Char said...

when you