I am back, at least briefly. There is really not that much to report, at least in my life. I am probably going to fly into Florida Monday morning or afternoon, rent a car, and drive around to visit apartments and/or houses. I should be back Tuesday. A few of the places are fairly impressive-looking, actually, and as soon as I can get some pictures up, I'll do so.
The options are fairly good, and I think having a roommate will be better than living alone like I did at OSU for the past couple years. As much as I value my privacy and the ability to work, I didn't get out nearly enough, and I didn't really take the initiative I needed to in order to be more social. Getting to know people really happened slowly (though when it happened, it was pretty nice).
Ericka is continuing to make progress with school. She has been forced to teach another class, though they're paying her a goodly amount more to do it. It will be stress and some headaches, but the lead for the class will be more or less doing all the lesson plans...that should help to take out a bit of the stress. Still, day-to-day prep is leading to night-to-night stress. I think after the first couple months, though, that she will settle into a groove. She already has her bad class eating out of the palm of her hand, though her "good" class got a couple extra students that has left them all somewhat unruly. I will be going in sometime soon to knock heads, and that should straighten them out.
Master Comito predictably asked me to stay in PA. He gently reminded me that no one ever dies wishing they had worked more, which I suppose is mostly true. But there are a lot of intangibles here at work--not just a paycheck. In fact, the money really isn't the pull for me, though being fully self-supporting and grossing over twice as much a month will be nice. Cubic sounds very excited to have me there, the opportunity to grow is significant, and it overcomes my ingrown resistance to the status quo.
The Chinese word for "stagnate" is related to the word for "die." And I find myself agreeing that stagnation leads to death in some ways (perhaps more philosophical than others). Perhaps my one real fear is that I will kind of wither on the vine, so to speak, without growing in the ways afforded me. I am being offered a lot of experience, a good working environment, decent money, and a good way to expand my horizons. The path is laid at my feet--there isn't much left to do but walk it. As Lewis would write, "To take the adventure Aslan has set before me."
No comments:
Post a Comment