Saturday, January 23, 2016

Snow

The eighth-grader in me still loves snow—it conjures memories of a February that included only three full days of school, a glorious reprieve from a place I hated. They say that trained spotters have measured over nine inches already (and that a couple of hours ago), and the snow keeps falling. I know there are a lot of dangers with snow, but since I don't control the weather I don't feel too guilty about loving it.

I'm sure the next few hours are going to involve a lot of shoveling and sweating, but it's kind of nice anyway to see it outside.

L is up now, so it's time to cook some breakfast.

...

Aaaand back again, at least for a few minutes. We're fortunate to have neighbors with snowblowers. It was the work of a few hours, but they cleared out most of us in what turned out to be something of a lull in the wrath of Snowzilla. The next few hours have churned out probably another six to eight inches of snow—we are sitting right underneath a pretty slow-moving band, and it's been dumping a lot of snow.

The patio is full now, although the turrets are still visible thanks to how the snow has drifted. On the leeward side, the bare patch that used to be the garden is still visible, and I think you can even see some blades of grass sticking up. Needless to say, though, we've gotten our two feet and then some. They're saying 30 inches when all is said and done.

Other than shoveling, it's mostly been a laundry sort of day, with a few moments taken to play some FreeCiv, eat, and read. Not exactly a do-nothing day, but still a pretty glrious one. Even though the sun has mostly gone down, it's bright out with the snow reflecting for us.

I may end up going out to do some more shoveling, since we're going to need to make our way over to the neighbors' place for a Thanksgiving dinner (we generally do it at least once or twice a year not on Thanksgiving). I'm given to understand there will be quite a gathering, including PUMPKIN PIE. Not that the people matter or anything—just the pie.

Okay, so the people, too.

1 comment:

Char said...

The LAST superniño!