Monday, May 09, 2011

Busy busy

Lots going on lately. Just got back from Saskatchewan, which included trips to Gehenna (I know it's real now) and meeting the frickin Reyteam. It was a fun trip; even the delay in Minneapolis wasn't too bothersome since I didn't have someone interrupting me every five minutes. Traveler beware, though: Toronto expects customs on departure rather than entry, and you can miss your connecting flight pretty easily if you're not careful (I almost did—and that would not have made me happy AT ALL). Good vacations leave you more tired than when you started, and this was no exception. Conversation, food, some walk-abouts, a play...it was restful.

Upon returning I found that I would be competing in not one but two tournaments at the end of the month. The second is a qualifier for a national team that will be competing in Toronto in November. I don't know much more about it than that, but MC has been asked to coach the team, and he wants me to try out for it. I'll decide what to do if it comes to that later. This isn't Olympic/AAU karate or anything, but the recognition is nice.

Following tournaments is the Iceland trip. Three days after returning is black belt testing. Then it's San Fran in July for a wedding, and another wedding the weekend after that. Then State Games, and possibly a tournament in DC at the beginning of August. Busy busy.


In other news, I just got some decent lined paper and stamps. My mailbox is free, finally! Having not written people in awhile, it seems like it's time to put pen to paper. I think one of the major downfalls of email or IM or any other electronic medium for personal communication is simply how repeatable it is. Being able to make copies of your work can almost degrade it.

Because of my old person brain, writing letters is an exercise in giving away my memory. I always forget what I write, and so this makes the writing of a note a real gift for me. There is something special about a mailbox with more than bills and junk mail from advertisers looking for your business. I am sure if I reread what I wrote I would find much of what is here—the sort of things that put everyone to sleep.

But it is nonetheless a little something of myself to be had and held onto for a little while.

No comments: