Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Videography

First, some breaking from testing; the clips are short, one is fail, one is good:



I will say on triple side that I got it once. Ironically, the hardest board to break (the center one that I broke with the "under" foot) is the one I got here. The other two should be pretty easy, but my angle of attack is in Z instead of in X like it should be.



The form on the jump spinning back is really quite good, though it's not a particularly difficult break. The finish is good, the non-kicking leg is properly chambered, and so on. All in all, a good break. But again, it's not particularly difficult.

Now for fighting from KSG:



My first fight was not judged as well as I might have hoped. It opens when I'm down 1–0. The initial call of "out" should probably have been either a foul (kicking to the back) or a point for me since I pushed him out. The final point off-camera was also mine (which is what he's smiling about at the end). I played with his ribs for a little while before he hit me in the head, which is where they called for point.

As for the hook kick (about :23 into the video), I can't argue with them giving him a point for that, since it was well-timed and pretty sweet. But I felt it coming and evaded on purpose. If I had followed up with technique it might have gone the other way.

My second fight was a little better:



I should have beaten him, actually, but failed to use the speed game to my advantage. He was a lot slower than I was. When I kicked him in the head, I expected a contact call. D told me afterward the first thing he said was that it was clean—that I moved his glasses, not his face. In any case, I got a point for it. The fading jumping round is one of my favorite techniques for aggressive fighters. The look on his face when I showed the jump was priceless.

And last video, of the staff form:



(P/W is Midair542Jumps.)

I actually feel a lot better about staff after seeing the replay than I did during the form. There are three basic issues with the form: first, the obvious fouling up of the behind-the-back flourish (which I'm going to take out for the future); second, the 360 is off-sync—the stick finishes well ahead of the landing; third, I lost my grip in the regressive figure eight near the end of the form, though I don't know that anyone would have seen it that way. There are miscellaneous angle issues in the figure eight and first sweep as well.

All of these are easily corrected, I think.

I don't have form video yet and probably won't for some time. I'd like to post it eventually as it was pretty good.


In any case, enjoy the videography / youtubery. Who knows when I'll return to talk about other things (like the fact I need a haircut).

No comments: