Monday, June 09, 2008

What's new in mem-land

The answer is not too much, I suppose. We recently changed over to FiOS from Verizon, and that was a bit annoying. The upshot of it is that we finally have a wireless router in the house, and so now I can enjoy the 80-degree-plus heat at 9PM by blogging outside on my undersized OLPC. I suspect that by tomorrow we'll have had more 90+ days (it was nearly 100 today) in the past week than we had all summer last year. To be fair, I did skip two weeks of it.

I have been kept rather busy at work, earning the raise I got last month at my two year anniversary. A 150-hour project came through at the end of May that needs to be completed sometime this week or next, and I think I've basically put about ten hours in. You can do the math on that—it's not pretty. So I'll be working late most nights this week. Naturally there are other fires that need putting out, too, and they have consumed an inordinate amount of time. I'm glad for it, though, considering how the economy is doing; our business has been particularly resilient. I helped with a $25,000 delivery last week.

I have also started looking for a place to live. Being with Mom and Dad has been great on many levels; this is the most relaxed I've been since my sophomore year of college by far, and I know their willingness to put up with me for so long has been a big part of it. But it is past time to stop being a mooch, so I have started trying to augment my savings in preparation for what is likely to be a significant down payment. Small homes and condos aren't cheap at all! I will probably have to sacrifice my seven-minute-in-rush-hour commute in order to find someplace that I can afford. All in all, I'm okay with that. I have done fairly well for myself since returning from Florida, and I expect I'll be able to stay in this area for at least a few more years; at the very least, I'd like to wait to move until he's 100% vested in my 401(k).

Memorial Day weekend was a good one, though I spent most of it out of the house. A few folks from church decided a bonfire would be nice and "kidnapped" me for an overnight in front of the first. Of course, we didn't get to bed until about 3:30 at the earliest, and I was so cold I probably got about an hour of sleep total—I was up at five. I have a few pictures, and E II took some more—but they're on Facebook and not linkable. I got home around nine, ate with the folks, and spent a bit of time tidying up and doing some minor refrigerator work with Dad—it was leaking. Thereafter was a BBQ with the same folks and then some that I "slept" under the stars with, and then off to a friend's for some games. I had hoped for an early bedtime, but Dad's computer decided to go all wonky and it ended up that I got to sleep around midnight. The following week was extra spechul.

This past weekend was bowling with some friends from high school I hadn't seen in practically a year; it was enjoyable, relaxing, and, most importantly, did not keep me out past ten-thirty.

Other than that, it's pretty well been nose-to-the-grindstone between work, teaching, church, and watching the Wings pound the Penguins. E has been a little too busy to transition DNS for my website, and I don't have a convenient way to update it anyway; so I have put my pictures on PicasaWeb in the meantime.

Because of the lack up site updates, I've also been forced to suspend providing songs of the week; which is probably for the best anyway.

No comments: