I think I just got a little bit of plum flavor in my coffee. Surprisingly, it actually sounds pretty good, if it were done right.
This was a busy week, and a busy Saturday. Work sort of exploded over the week, with a lot of different build issues and bug reports that caused us to skip one of our scheduled micro releases. We're going to release another one out of cycle soon. But the fixes and different issues cost me a lot of time. As a result, I spent a couple hours at work yesterday finalizing some improvements to an as-yet-unreleased new version of the software.
I got up earlier than usual on Monday so as to be able to go bike riding with a friend in a nearby park. The weather this week was unseasonably warm—almost spring-like—and so it would've been nearly perfect for riding. Unfortunately, the server bombed out and wouldn't even POST when I turned it on. I'm still not entirely sure what the problem was, but I think that it has to do with the internal heat monitoring, either on the processor or on the drives (as it appears that there is some, if the error messages are to be believed). In any case, I disconnected literally everything inside the machine to see if I could get it to boot, and it didn't work until after I disconnected the fan connected to the motherboard. This is not precisely how I intended to spend my evening, and my bike is still in my car and will hopefully get some use sooner than later.
Tuesday was a bit of a recovery day, as I got into work a bit later than usual. I worked a bit later than usual, too, trying to solve a bug report for a customer so that I could start Wednesday with a cleaner slate. It didn't quite work out that way, but I was able to get it finished morning Weds. The afternoon finished predictably with a trip to the back quack and church, which ended fairly quickly and I was home in time to get to sleep at a decent hour.
Thursday was teaching, and it was a great night. It wasn't as busy as last week, and the students were all fairly advanced. I was able to get some face time with nearly everyone and do some remediation with the little ones. The second class consisted mostly of some fighting drills and then sparring. D had a phenomenally awesome move, a crescent kick over the top converted into a roundhouse on the way down. G didn't even see it happen, and I had to blink twice before calling stop for the point. It was pretty amazing. B had a great night of fighting, too. The defense was there, and he was very aware of himself in the ring; it was terrific. Sensei let us run over a little bit so that he could watch D and G fight; G is one of his students, too.
Friday was more of the same. I had some one-on-one time with one of the red belts, A, who is dyslexic and has a difficult time with memorization. So it was pretty awesome that at the end of the day I had her doing her last form from top to bottom by herself. The little victories in my day are the best, and this was certainly one of them. Afterwards was a small party at D's (a different one) with some friends from church. We played Balderdash and looked at the SNL Trivial Pursuit DVD. We had a lot of amusing moments, and I spoke at some length with J after our time together.
Saturday, as mentioned, was pretty busy. I did my laundry and cleaned out my closet for clothes to give away. I put my finger through the elbow of one of my signature shirts, and so that went in the trash. I replaced it and another that is showing signs of age (and spots of bleach?), and a pair of jeans that are beginning to split down the backside. I cleaned up a bit in my "office" and bathroom (though I still need to clean the shower rather badly), and tried to figure out how to enter capital gains in my financial software. I produced a bracket form and the room layout for our upcoming tournament. I went to work and finished up a feature and some debugging. Not all in that order.
Today will see me finish washing sheets, hopefully cleaning the shower, and finally figuring out how to enter those capital gains (I shouldn't have to create another account for it, darnit!).
This week's song is from a CD the Doof got me for Christmas, though it arrived rather late. She actually got me both Everlife and Real Life. The former turned out to be rather juvenile chick rock, which I confess I wasn't entirely expecting. The latter turned out to be better than I expected, though. A lot of the songs are a bit dated with respect to events in my life, but there are a number of them I've heard before and liked. The one up this week is new to me and vied with a couple others from the CD for contention. I was tipped in its favor by the flute and sax. It's a shame, but Silers Bald is no longer together. As folk pop goes, they aren't bad, and I think I'd prefer them to Caedmon's Call, for example.
No comments:
Post a Comment