Saturday, October 13, 2007

Happiness...

... is doing the splits without someone sitting on your back. My students are learning to recite this every class. The sheer amount of time it's taking to get even this hilarious phrase embedded in their memory is astounding.

(Okay, geek out for a second. In English, it's fairly normal to associate a singular noun with a plural entity—so here it is "their memory" instead of "their memories." Is this common in other languages? My knowledge of German doesn't extend this far, I don't think. Does it depend on the noun in question? "Memories" kind of has its own connotation, I think, and so maybe we would use a plural with another noun. I don't know.)


The week went fairly well. I completed quite a bit of work last Saturday, and so the project alpha was basically finished up Tuesday. I'm waiting for some feedback on the output from the program, and then we'll move on. In the meantime, I've quashed a few bugs and fixed a couple build issues. The never-ending build issues. We ate out yesterday, mostly because we hadn't in awhile. I had an Angus burger, and it was everything I hoped it could be. Not a substitute for life-long companionship or a Flyers' Stanley Cup, but a pretty fine lunch.

Tuesday was interesting. I bought 100ft of PVC conduit and cut it into five foot lengths. We're going to use them for staves for the little guys who are getting bored out of their minds doing form and kicking and other stuff. I rounded off the edges, so the likelihood of fights leading to any real damage has been negated somewhat. Unfortunately, this has also diminished the entertainment factor.

The cool thing is that they're perfectly sized, appropriately weighted, nearly indestructible, and freakin cheap. Real sticks cost about $10-$20 apiece; these 20 were about $23 all together. I'm going to get another 100ft sometime this coming week—probably Wednesday, barring mitigating circumstances.

I taught from 6-7:30 all on my lonesome yesterday. That's not strictly true—I did have help. I guess I'm just a big liar. Or a small liar, considering my frame. Regardless, J was out since RenAcad had a haunted house this year. D was also out—he does an awesome Dracula, if you ever need one. The second class was sparsely populated, which was nice. We did a little power kicking (which involves hip shaking, and people were talking about dancing; my dance skills are worse than the King of Queen's in Hitch). We also spent some time going over new material, which was nice.

The weather this week has been sublime. We finally got a bit of rain, which cooled us off from the uber-hotness (90 degrees in October?), or at least all of the weather-related hotness. The cloud cover has been fantastic:




This is really my favorite time of year (at least until it changes into winter, which will then become my favorite). I love the temperature—it was 42 out this morning!—and the autumn smells. And the pumpkin pie, when I can get some. Ahem.

5 comments:

Sydira said...

What's this about you not being able to dance? I don't buy it. If you are able to kick someone's ass you should surely be able to shake your own.
As such I shall remain unconvinced until it has been proven otherwise.

Hi by the way.

Char said...

So are you going to duct tape knives on to the ends of those pipes? You know you want to!

Did I mention your pumpkin pie was better than the one that I let the hellions have?

Of course I don't sound like I'm from Ohio. I sound like I'm from the Prairies. Well other prairie people don't have lisps but you get the idea.

My speech in the video is only passably intelligible because I had to do it five times before I was able to fold the thing with one hand, show everything that needed to be in the screen, get it bright enough, etc. By the time I got to that version, I had what I wanted to say down pretty well. And I talked slower than usual. There were still a few superfluous "but"s in there.

Ha when I made the first few versions Interpol was playing in the background. It was the switch to Petra that made that one work I am sure.

And I was counting pages because my aunt asked me how they would be laid out and they just happened to go in a nice orderly fashion. So never mind.

Char said...

From your mouth? ...eeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwww

I am not a baby bird that I need regurgitated vittles. Your mouth was thousands of klicks away from that pie when I ate it anyway.

Do you have any idea how much I hate blogs with comments that open in another window? I HATE.

Thought you might like to know that.

Char said...

I already knew everyone was out to get me. You just confirmed this.

I will supply you with a lifetime of pies should you manage to become a dancing machine and do your thing out on the scene(haha sorry that song is playing right now and it made me think of you and your self-professed low level of dancetasticness).

Char said...

Yes I saw that like yesterday.
My first thought was crap! I didn't even have to go to the trouble of making that thing.

I should have known it would be out on the www somewhere.