Okay, so today was busy, and I haven't gotten all the things done I should've. However, I spent my time worthily taking some pictures this evening, and I pulled a few off my camera from previous.

For starters, it looks like the squirrels have been procreating—it's hard to tell from these pictures, but this guy isn't all that big.

The technique you see in the second picture is a common one used by the squirrels who raid the bird feeder. The feeder is designed in such a way that heavier birds will not be able to feed as easily; their weight depresses the lever on which they sit, closing a cover over the tray.
This is pretty ingenious, actually, but it doesn't stop the squirrels, who aren't so dumb themselves. We usually chase them with rocks.
This is the woodpecker who's around all the time. I didn't realize his eyes were red!

The day today was so nice that I basically had to take a walk this evening. (I also washed and vacuumed out my car.) It was really quite a lot of fun, actually, and I got some good shots of the neighborhood and the cloudcover and other stuff.

This is a flower box of sorts. People here tend to decorate their mailboxes rather extensively. Well, except for us. That's because hoodlums kept smashing our box.

A delightful shot of what it looks like walking down the road. Many of these photos are slightly underexposed to bring out the clouds, which were really magnificent this evening.

I know that everyone who has ever had a camera has taken a picture of his or her feet. I know this because I know lots of people who take pictures, and they have pictures of their feet. I hate shoes, and I was walking barefoot tonight.

This is a pond at the end of the street. The guy who owns it is really nice, and walks his dog very early in the morning. We occasionally exchange greetings. He is personally responsible for ensuring that I look both ways before turning, whether it's right or left. I almost ran him over once.

Probably my favorite picture of the set. Unfortunately, I didn't get as much perspective as I wanted—getting more of the road, so you get the feel for the bend and the slope of the hill would've been really nice. One of the things that has consistently surprised me since I've been home is how much I took the surroundings for granted when I was growing up. Pennsylvania is a beautiful state, but I didn't have much to compare to, or the memories I needed...but Florida is really, really ugly. It doesn't even have the desolate charms of Indiana. But everywhere I look these days, I find something new that strikes me as somehow beautiful. Maybe taking pictures is causing me to frame everything, I don't know.

Another flower box.

A road sign, which is attached to the bend in the road above. Road signs kind of give me the willies when I see them in pictures. Not really the willies, but more just a sense that it's a road, and it goes somewhere, but I'm not sure where it leads. So perhaps it's more like it makes me feel lost.

A pair of chairs under a tree in a neighbor's yard. I'm sure that's fun to sit in, at least when sap and pollen aren't dropping on you like wrathful rain.

And the road on the way back home. Perspective again could've been better, I think, but I like the clouds.

And the fire hydrant. We all feel safer for having something yellow in the neighborhood that doesn't have legs and a tail.
3 comments:
Those are fun!! Makes me wish I was home for my birthday so we could blow bubbles or spray silly string in the backyard. :-P Mmm and eat steak.
What is wrong with you? Shoes exist for a REASON, that being to prevent picking up diseases off the road.
Obviously people don't throw beer bottles from their cars in your neighbourhood.
I take it by that last comment that you are trying to prevent my irritatingly obtuse comments.
Of course I hate barefootedness for just those reasons. Duh. I would also be afraid of stepping in dog poop. These are all very VERY legitimate arguments against shoelessness, IMO.
As for your Jersey nickname, I can think of more recognizable insults...but they are all pretty bad so never mind.
Post a Comment