Saturday, May 05, 2007

May Day

It's been an exciting week in some respects.

In review: I got shot(s), my ticket punched, a new lens for my camera, taught lots of people at karate, found out that my instructor believes K is ready for Orange Belt, graded a test (only flunked a couple people), and spent a lot of time out last night.

So the lens first:







The first three are of a blue jay. They usually arrive on the scene a little later, but they're bullies to other birds when they're hungry, so we occasionally shoo them away. I swear no photoshopping was done to the third picture; his head really is turned all the way around.

The last two demonstrate the zoom of the lens. The wide-angle on this one is 55mm (around 70 in the usual 35mm format), which is the telephoto end of the kit lens that came with the D40. It zooms to 200mm (300 in 35mm; second picture demonstrates), which is 11x over the 18mm on the wide-angle of the kit lens. So it gets up pretty close. In some respects, I think this is a good thing for me since I am much better in the closeup world than in the wide-angle. It also represents the last likely customization I'm going to do for my camera for some time to come (though I may purchase additional storage for the trip.)

My travel preparations proceeded apace this week as R ordered my ticket and I was inoculated against several diseases: yellow fever, typhoid, and Hep A. I probably did not need the latter. They recommended rabies, polio, and passed on dengue fever. Polio is extremely expensive these days it seems (it would've cost me as much to get a polio vaccination as it did to get the other three). I'll also get an anti-malarial while I'm there.

The lady who administered the vaccinations was very nice, but I managed to accidentally stick my foot in my mouth while I was there; after the fact, I realized and apologized, and it's water under the bridge. But I did feel like a doofus. I'm not usually intentionally insulting, though I do appear to manage to do it on accident often.

In any case, these preparations required me to spend some time on work at home Wednesday, since it kept me out of the office for three hours Thursday.


Karate classes this week were jammin. We had so many people there it was ridiculous, a combination of the schedule change and the test we held Friday.

Since S was out Tuesday, I asked K to come out for training, and it went pretty well. We ate dinner with J afterward and qibbutzed about many things. It was a really good night, and I think we all had a good time. J fought several people and injured himself, but was almost never out of position. He's extremely tough to fight. I didn't get a chance to fight, which was disappointing, but probably for the best considering my ankle and that we have several people testing for varying degrees of black belt this year.

In any case, K seemed to enjoy herself, and my instructor felt like she was ready for a test. She ordered a uniform and called me expressly to say that it fit. Tuesday we'll discuss how to tie the belt and things.

Thursday was extremely busy, too, with at least twenty people in each class. We were having trouble finding space in the gym. But I think everyone is digging the new schedule and the increased class size, despite not having as much personalized attention. It was busy the whole time, and I'm pretty sure everyone was moving. G was helping me out quite a bit, which was great. The parents seemed pretty energized, too. Summer will be dog days, probably, which is normal, but we'll see things pick up again later.


Friday was the test, and it went okay. The underclassmen need some serious remediation, and that's what I'll be spending time on Fridays with them. Fixing things here and there, and hoping to do well with them.

I was a little hard on one guy the past couple weeks, so I'll have a short sit-down chat with him, and hopefully clear things up and ease my slightly guilty conscience. It's hard to know when to press harder and when to back off, and I may have pushed him a little too much. I had some discussion with the others about it afterward, and I think we arrived at a solution that's acceptable to all parties and may work to his benefit. Master C did tell me that if I became as proficient at teaching as I am at technique that I woudl be better at it than he is...which is difficult to believe, but nonetheless a worthy goal.


After the test, we grabbed some food (Chinese) and then I headed over to J's for a round of Carcassonne and Wii Sports with J(2) and T, who are living with him for a little while. Their lease ran out last week. T is moving back to VA, and J is getting married, so it seemed like a good plan to crash at J's for a couple weeks or so.

It was really good to hang out, though I didn't get back home until about three in the morning. J has had a relatively rough week, I think, and seemed a bit out of sorts; I expect it had something to do with work, as he seemed slightly PO'd at a few parents (he works with autistic kids). T was his usual lanky self—I am shorter than all of these guys by probably about a head. They're all of above average height.

There were some good laughs, and we more or less enjoyed ourselves, though I lost pretty badly at Carcassonne (as expected). This is probably because I am not a nice person.


I bought about five cards this week. A few different occasions prompted the purchase, some rather happier than others. I'll have to buy another soon for the latter category, unfortunately.

One guy at work got himself a new job, new baby, and new car all this week. He'll start his new job Monday. He's one of the originals that the boss brought on when he started to hire people five years ago. Of the developers, I'm now the BMOC. That's a kind of scary feeling, but I expect it'll lead to some different responsibilities and things, which is both good and bad. I'm not actively looking for a new job, but I don't expect I'm going to stay there for a super long time if I can get a graphics job elsewhere.


Today's a beautiful day, and I'm going to go abuse the new lens some outside, I think.

8 comments:

Char said...

The blue jay is cute. The look on his face though is similar to the one my dog gets when he is trying to surreptitiously watch me eat.
The aperture setting makes the background almost look photoshopped in. How bizarre-maybe I am just used to everything being photoshopped.

You can't contradict yourself by saying you don't intentionally insult people and then try to play like you are "not a nice person".
Nice people feel bad about being jerks.
There's less regret for the intentionally sarcastic among us. Having said that, I think I am getting soft as I do a lot more tongue biting than I used to.

Char said...

Hey I just saw that last comment-I have been fighting with grandma over meds and the issue of throwing out all her old clothes. But I ALWAYS make time to sleep.

Char said...

I'm fighting with grandma over the clothes because they have been around since Noah was a pup (her terminology) with a combined age of 67932. They also are full of holes and do not fit her, so we are going to make her get new clothes.

I totally did clean the mirror off for the second picture-after a fashion anyway. The only time the camera focused on me, the flash went off and ruined it.

I am going to guess that if you go here (provided it is still online-it's a crappy geocities site which is always down and therefore I never use it anymore) you will be able to see the-heh-"interesting" part of the background. It was a doodle I drew in chemistry class when I was not skipping and then I made a giganto poster of it on an old blind. Though I see that pic was taken before I added Clarence the Most Dominant One.

I have rather a long history of such pieces, like this and this, among others, CIP included of course.

As for road rage, I made this doll for my mom to sit on her dash and take the brunt of her road rage. he is called SLOTHGUY. He was created from an accompanying cartoon.

Holy Crap, when I went to look for those pictures I found this cartoon I drew when I was like 15. Ahahahaha I had totally forgotten it!

Bambi Brigade hahahahahahah


Crikey everything you said reminded me of some flipping drawring I've done.

Memories!

All alone in the..ah never mind.

Char said...

I used to have a tripod for the TLb and my brother broke it. Okay this was when it still belonged to my dad, and I'm not entirely sure I had been born yet, but still.

The thing with the players for the Bambi brigade was that we all thought it would be super funny if they were the gooniest team on earth-especially with the fluffy little tails.

And yes I know the geocities site has two pictures worth of bandwidth and then poof. Since my site was picture heavy, it would often exceed bandwidth before the quilt page would even finish loading. This would be why I no longer use it, with the exception of the header of the blog.

I speak my own dialect thanks. I pick up words that I like-"designer language" if you will. Isn't trendy postmodernism supposed to be deconstructing the falseness of such dialectical frameworks? See I may be an old stodgy fundy, but I can still be relevant.

Also my mom has watched Coronation Street for years and you can't help but pick up sayings from it. I told you about the TV thing, didn't I?

So you wanted your rabbit to be a living but snatched bald wretch? You are a sadist. If I held to my brother's screwy view of karma, I'd say perhaps the universe is returning the favour. heh.

Char said...

I'm sorry but I could not understand your last comment. I mean I couldn't make head nor tail of the language you were using.

Char said...

Was that simplified chinese?

Bwahahaha!

Char said...

Herro?

Herrrooooo?

Char said...

Didn't you ever play the "pretend to be the Chinese restaurant when someone phones" game?
It usually goes something like "herro lee's house of flied lice. Herro? Herrrrooo?..." then you hang up.

Don't you love childish pranks and racial stereotypes?

Scooby doo was a good comeback though. Does that make you shaggy? Oh wait you're short aren't you.

Haha.

Speaking of shagginess, how is the Rogaine working for you?

BTW my nose is not even my worst feature-SO THERE.

Back to that first comment-which I ran through babelfish-I don't remember having a debate about Eternal Security at the petrazone. I do remember universalism, KJVonlyism, Rodney Kingism, moralism, Calvinism, Athanasius (ah I think I usually bring that up heh), heresy, WOF, the creeds and a host of other things, but not eternal security.

Do you think it's about time to bring it up? Are you bored?