Saturday, March 31, 2007

Whatever Things are Lovely

Finishing up the game, a little nervous. Up only four with 2:36 to go. I suppose the game will be over by the time I'm done with this entry.

It was a long week, and a longer Friday. A couple songs of the week this week—JOC's goes out to the J's. The weather has been so good this week that I had to include My Father's World. Those easily offended by hymns need not listen; those easily offended by a capella should doubly not listen.


The week was fairly typical—that is to say that I was working and teaching. I ended up getting called in on Wednesday. S got free tickets to the Flyers game, and he wanted to go. (We beat Carolina, 5-1; I was almost hoping we'd lose, just so that Bit of Love and his team might get back to the playoffs.) So I taught the last two classes of the evening. The last class had one student show up. We spent the whole time looking at breaks, which she was worried about.

This can be a little frustrating. I will say this much, that when I was teaching over the summer, I never had this kind of problem with students. And the summer is usually a very slow period for us. It's not a really big deal, I guess; I'm happy to teach one student, or even just half a student. But I don't really understand why the classes are so slim.

I couldn't very well leave him out of a Flyers game; I told him to say hi to Simon for me when he saw him. We're almost as close as I am with Wayne. (Simon, if you're reading this, I have that issue of Superman number one you loaned me the other day.)

I also covered on Thursday, since J was busy working on parent-teacher conferences, a quarterly smackdown of any teachers' time at this particular school. (The administration seems to have difficulty respecting their employees' time and intelligence.) This went fairly well, though I wasn't having a particularly terrific week at this point.

Fortunately, a student pointed me to an awesome website of songs written by a guy who is a total geek. I highly recommend Mandelbrot Set. I laughed so hard (this is terrible, but true) when he sang, "[Mandelbrot Set,] you're one badass [effing] fractal." If you have a pulse, you'll like at least one thing he writes. He has songs about DNA, love, coding, math, Flickr, Tom Cruise...the list is endless, and he is hilarious.


So I also drove Mom to the airport on Wednesday; she is spending the weekend with the Doof and will be returning on Monday afternoon. Dad is also out of town for part of the weekend with a conference; he'll be returning late tonight. He got to see Bubs and the SIL in MD in the bargain, and I'm sure they enjoyed their time together.

I have not had much time to myself, though. The J's have had various problems this weekend, and I have been trying to provide some support. I was forced, yet again, to leave BS early (for which I am ridiculed on a regular basis, but I give quite as good as I get) for J's house to calm him down a bit (being the type A that he is) and I think I was partially successful. Another J rang in the middle with some personal issues and we met later with some other friends at a 24-hour diner that gave my clothes their own unique scent (and it wasn't the chicken-scented deodorant I am rumored to use among certain people).

In any case, I didn't get back home until almost 2 AM. Because I had to cover Thursday, and because work ended up going over (funny, that also happened Friday, as my boss was convinced I was doing something wrong, even though I wasn't, and it was his fault, actually; but I'm not bitter, really), I missed my chiropractor appointment and had to reschedule it for Friday. At 7:15 AM. Now I know there are some of you who have been working since like 5:30 in the morning, or who don't go to sleep until 7:15. However, this is because you are crazy, and I am sure no one really likes you. (Okay, I'm joking about the second part.)

Up at 9:00 or so, and then breakfast, a shower, some laundry, cleaning up the kitchen, some piddling work, and then out the door for lunch with J. I was channeling Dr Emmett Brown, evidently, as my hair POOFED almost everywhere.


The weather really was excellent this week. Anyone who knows me knows that I'm a sucker for grammar, a good argument, and contrast. Rain does contrast the best, in my opinion, but the weather this week was unbelievably. The sky was astonishingly blue and high, and the ground a deep green, and driving down 113 N to karate was simply amazing.

I think I almost got in two crashes because of it. Due to how busy I was, I didn't get any time to shoot pictures, and perhaps I'll get a chance tomorrow. It has been a long long week, and I am ready for a new one.

I picked up Good Monsters on a whim today, and I am still a bit undecided. We'll see how it pans out—but at least one song is good for the week.

3 comments:

Char said...

FYI: it is morally wrong to hope Southern US teams win at hockey, even in secret. This is probably why no one comes to your classes; obviously your students know there's something seriously wrong there.

I have only been marginally productive, trying to finish some things that have been taking forever. Actually it may entertain you to know I have been cleaning-though for me that means making a right mess. The rest of my life is full of paradoxes and contradictions too.

I had not seen the post at pyromaniacs until you mentioned it; the general rabble over there have largely given my answer. We that have been forgiven much will love much.
It was interesting to see some of the same thoughts that comprised my first impulse in the Newton link that someone posted. I never realized I was so unoriginal. ;)

BTW have I ever told you that I am eminently amused by the fact that the only links on your other blog are Pyromaniacs and this Tim Enloe? It's like

links:
daylight
darkness

Ha.

That pyros would seem to occupy the daylight spot has nothing to do with the fact that Frank Turk sent me a free shirt. Nothing at all.

Lastly it doesn't matter how fast you type a comment in, it still needs to verified eleventy seven times.

Char said...

Talk abut besetting sin that one refuses to acknowledge. Come up with all the justifications you like, Southern teams are EVIL and have ruined everything. They all suck regardless of the prettiness of the areas in which they reside or who is on the team or who they once were ...these are merely filthy rags, my friend, filthy RAGS.

Take Phoenix-which franchise used to be in Winnipeg. Totally one of these crappy irrelevant southern teams that was much better in it's original home.
That says a lot about their moral state, since Winnipeg is home of the bluebombers and therefore the nexus of evil and the reason we went to games there was to cheer for whoever was not Winnipeg.
Even Winnipeg is a step up from anywhere that cannot have it's own ice in the winter and is not in Canada.

the thing that's funny about the shirt was that it was singled out as disrespectful by someone giving pyromaniacs flak. I felt bad but at the same time it made me laugh-almost as much as I did when I found out some other people actually bought ones of their own.

Char said...

God also judges the wicked. ah HA!

If he had wanted these cities to have hockey teams he would have made sure to have given them ice in the winter. That they have to make it themselves with their godless technologies shows their defiance to the created order (and is a cheap substitute not unlike Monsanto-made aspartame). Now that the official corporation of Satan has entered the discussion, nothing else needs to be said.

The road to Monsanto is paved with good intentions.

Also I think you need to repent of your obvious Waynolatry. Mr. Hockey would have taken him down with the golden elbow if they'd been contemporary you know-I think he could still do it if truth be told.

I don't think such matters of spiritual importance are laughing matters. Didn't you know that God hates gags? Your sister is a liberal, isn't she?

Hope you are able to return to your study soon. Have a good Easter.