Saturday, February 03, 2007

Before and After

So I have let myself go for a few weeks, not having shaved. Combined with my lack of hair cuttering in the past couple months, I would have looked something like a lumberjack...if I weren't so puny:

This photo is courtesy some help of my mother, who thought the whole idea of before and after is rather silly...even though she is addicted to that travesty of television programming called What Not to Wear. I had to get her to use the tripod because she was laughing at me.

I arranged for a last minute haircut this afternoon and managed to pull it off well enough:


The white balance on both of these is fairly terrible, and I just don't know why. I tried to fool with it, but my fool monitor isn't properly calibrated, and I don't have a colorimeter or any software for it. So I am a little stuck in that regard.


I have spent the other parts of the day working on a flyer for a breaking clinic. Inkscape is really cool—I was able to grab some public domain karate clipart and run it through the tracing algorithm to produce an SVG that printed up very nicely at 300dpi. It's pretty amazing what free software will do for you. Sometime I want to get a tablet to try my hand at drawing. My hands are shaky on occasion (no surgeoning for me), and I'm interested in seeing how curve interpolation would smooth it out.

The rest of the day will involve (you guessed it) cleaning out the bathroom, which I have not done in a long enough time that even I am frightened of walking in there. Depending on the strength of my will, I may try my hand at cleaning my room, though I recently have taken care of the sheets.

The Bucks play at 4, and the Flyers at 7. Speaking of the Flyers, they played such a great game against New Jersey the other night, and still lost. Peter Forsberg had a beautiful goal that almost made me cry. Alexandre Picard assisted on all five goals, which was impressive (a record for rookies). All in all, I think they could be a much better team with a little attitude shift and some speedier talent on the blue line. We'll see next year, I suppose, after they've gutted us. I hope Peter can stay healthy and in Philadelphia. (We're on a first name basis, yeah; close likethis.)


I had a hard time choosing a Song of the Week this week. I picked this one because it's most apropos, though the first few lines don't really fit me as well as you might think. I chose it because "Get Me Ready" is on the Lost Dogs' myspace, and I'm not quite there yet. But I will be soon enough.

14 comments:

Char said...

Maybe you have comment notification turned off at your other blog (in regards to not knowing I had commented over there)...? Hope things are going better for you, anyway.
As for being the worst christian, perhaps laziest, most cantankerous christian is more precise.
I often think of how Luther told Melanchthon be a sinner and sin boldy-those of us who don't think of ourselves as great sinners like to forget we need bold and powerful grace. This puts us in a rather unenviable position of trying to justify ourselves. Feh.

Anyway, it's nice to see what you look like. :) I think mothers' greatest source of entertainment is(are?) their children's weird ideas-well maybe I'm applying personal experience across the board there...You probably don't get quite the number of bizarre and obsessive ideas that *some of us* do.

And you are cleaning again!

Tablets are great-and sometimes frustrating. I found that I could not draw something and trace it on the tablet. This was particularly disappointing and sent me back to the draw, scan, print process I used before. However I find it good for putzing with pieces I've already done the outlines for.

BTW, yes I could make a man's corset. The discomfort is relative, and you get used to it after awhile. I don't work enough to be covered if I put my back out, so I'm trying to take a little better care of it.

Char said...

I'm so sorry dude, but but the refs to cuttingCUTTINGCUTTINGCUTTING hair, lumberjacks and moms are making me bust out laughing every time I read this.

Have I ever mentioned that I own the complete set of Monty Python's Flying Circus? Today I just HAD to go and watch that one and then Upperclass Twit of the Year.
Classic, classic material.

Anyway. As to your comment-I've mentioned it before but being left handed is an asset when using a tablet, and there are few times when that is so. You can mouse with the right hand and work the pen with the left. BTW, have you seen this site? Lefties commiserating.

I do sleep on my stomach, rather contorted at that, that's part of the reason I need to do back exercises and brace my back and all the rest of it. Bah.

Also somehow I don't think that hoping to get close enough to the minister to spill communion wine on his vestments so I can dumpster dive for them to use in art projects after they've been ruined and thrown out is the best of reasons to join a liturgical church.
Besides, I was brought to the faith through old baptists, and we think change is like drinking, of the devil so don't let anyone know when you do it...

Carin said...

In the top picture, if you weren't smiling, you would look like a terrorist.

But I like it!

Char said...

You don't know the Lumberjack song? Oh well I found it on youtube for you, because that's just and unfortunate deprivation.

"Many of my best friends are lumberjacks and only a few of them are transvestites"

BWAhahahahah

Char said...

BTW, my brothers and I all own Quest for the Holy Grail so we won't steal it from one another.

Char said...

Thirdly sorry for the typos.

Char said...

My mom hates Monty Python, but she is the one who bought me that set-because she and my dad used to laugh at me laughing. I don't just laugh at things I find funny-I fall on the floor and go nearly apoplectic. My dad always insisted I got that from my uncle, neither he nor I can relate funny stories for laughing.

As the comment you made about my sleeping patterns a few back there, I just got off an evening and have been working evenings almost exclusively for awhile. I can now use the fact that I work shift work as an excuse for staying up all night-and people accept that as legitimate!

Gee this is starting to look like comment spam...

FREE ONLINE POKER.

Okay I'll stop now.

Sydira said...

Listen punk, everyone KNOWS that What Not to Wear is a top notch quality program. How else am I going to know what poor fashion choices I can properly mock?

And I am horrified that you didn't know the lumberjack song. This ranks up there with the time you told me you never watch the Price is Right.

Anonymous said...

Ooh freshly cut hair. :)



Hope you are well.

Char said...

Dude.

Have you lived your entire life in a soddie hut? Without power? This is the only acceptable excuse for not having seen The Price is Right.

Sydira, you don't need What Not to Wear to know the dark side of fashion;
Skinny jeans and leggings.
These are simply ungodly and those who wear them deserve to be mocked as Elijah mocked the priests of ba'al. :P

Char said...

Owatinay!

Bumble Canada? Oooo tred carefully, my friend. Fear the Wrath of Ochap!

Heh!

Char said...

Rez speak.

This doesn't count as part of my alloted time.

Char said...

It didn't count because I had a quick look at my email, saw your comment about not understanding what I'd written, and thought "what the heck did I write?" Then I had to come see. Therefore it didn't count because it wasn't planned.

But if you want to think of your self as boring, that's fine. Sad form of self-loathing, but fine.

Since you obviously haven't heard the odd bit of cree out in the soddie, owatinay is a blanket statement of surprise/incredulity/whatever else you please. Ochap is one of the reserves near bumble-uh Broadview-Think twice before crossing the powers of Ochap is all I'm saying....they can sic their vampirous green men on you.





(before you ask-local folklore)

Char said...

I'd love to hear you try to say owatinay youah.

There is a lot of cree/saulteaux/french/english/something the speaker just made up spoken around here. I've always suspected the word to be one of those constructions.
That is not necessarily the way everyone would spell it either.


Now my alloted time is up. Tansi!