Saturday, October 28, 2006

Do-Do-Doot...Do-Do-Do-Doot.

Major pointage to anyone who can tell me what that ditty references.

Watching some of the game, and so far fairly unimpressed, though I am pleased by the pressure, and you can't complain about a shutout. I have had some computer issues (so what's new?) due to some small upgrades I accomplished Thursday and Friday.

A fairly slow news week. I guess the biggest thing is that one of my karate instructors has been in and out of the hospital lately. He was cutting some trees down for his mother in law and got an infection when a splinter embedded itself rather firmly in his hand. He was out of the hospital on Friday, went on vacation today, and I just got a call saying that he is in the hospital again. If you're the praying kind, I'm sure they'd be appreciated; there exists some possibility that he would lose his hand, and he makes his living with it.

I have spent a fair amount of time as a result covering in karate. Wednesdays are traditionally strong in the underclassmen classes, but the adult class is pretty tough with just two people consistently showing up. It is difficult to get stuff done in these cases, especially because they're kids and they are not as motivated to do a lot of stuff. And I am not a particularly effective motivator.

This evening is a trip to Master C's for a bit of R&R. His daughter probably still thinks I am an ogre. (Ogre is a great word.) I am responsible for making sure she doesn't date until she's 30 or so. She's currently married to Tigger, so I think that I'm probably safe for awhile. But I won't be promoted to Master until I've accomplished this task. (Normally it's four years. She's three and a half, so I've got a good 26 years to go. That would make me 51. Sigh.)

One of the attractions at his house is the fish tank—which he is stocking fairly slowly. He has a 110-gallon tank that he waited eleven years to use. He has a family of clown fish in there now, and is tweaking things just so to get some corals and so on.

The sister-in-law is travelling to New Crappy (err...Jersey) to be with her folks this weekend. Her back is doing substantially better—the incision is healed. I believe E will be glad of the little break; the "in sickness" part is probably a bit more real to him now.

The cloud cover today has been amazing today. It has been generally windy and somewhat warmer (56) today, and we've had some strange cloud movement. I have enjoyed the mix—some rather threatening and others lighter with bright blue poking through. Good reminder of "when I bring the cloud, I also bring the bow."

And it was something to have a couple smaller birds-of-prey (I think they were falcons) flying very low in an adjoining neighborhood. When I did some shopping (unmentionables, mostly), I could follow them both, and they trailed the car for awhile. I am glad I didn't get in an accident. (And here I'm trying to be a more careful driver after my sojourn in horrible-driver-haven Florida.)

4 comments:

Char said...

Thanks for the well wishes. I was just in the hospital for tests, they said there's nothing wrong with me...well physically anyway. I do hope your instructor and SIL are doing well.

I was being obstinant today in remembering Reformation Day (which is worthy) and purposefully avoiding Halloween in the process. It's always great when you can kill two birds with one stone.

karsineng said...

I have always been here.

Sydira said...

Was it lust for life? And now I'll go back and read the rest of the post.

Char said...

THE TIME