Sunday, August 13, 2006

Promises

Here are a few post-test pictures, with a bit of levels editing to correct for the sunlight pouring through the window. The bruises are real, and these are the ones I can post here without violating the laws of several countries.





Next are a few stills from the videos (considerably lower-res, unfortunately).

Here is Dan doing the side-pi chugi-round—another three-boards-one-jump break. Very pretty, and not very easy at all. He did very well, actually (not surprisingly), hitting all of his breaks on the first try. You know, like you're supposed to. (And like I didn't.)



Here is a shot of me breaking three boards with a step-over side kick. This took me a few tries, mostly because I faded back when I kicked. (On my second attempt, I broke the back two boards, but not the front one.)



Here is a shot of the triple-front, which I did not get the first day, sadly. But the form is reasonably good on this shot. Unfortunately, I don't have video of when I DID get it, which happened the second day of the test. I routinely broke the right and middle board, but the left was a bit jammed up each time.



This is a shot of John breaking four boards with a single side kick. Don't get in the way of his foot. Ever.



Jason doing a jumping round:



There are probably others to post, but the harvesting takes a little time. I'll append a link to video when I can upload them. All in all, it was a good test; there were some weaker points and some better. Not sleeping well was hard; I faded pretty fast after the "all on one" fight before lunch Saturday.

Fortunately, that was the last of the hard stuff. We did not do two-on-one fighting, which was a mixed blessing. Er came to visit during lunch time and so missed some of the cool moments. A couple other students came for the fight, which made it longer. Three minutes is a LONG time to fight. Especially when your opponent isn't tired. The third dan candidates fought longest, but we fought all of the black belts first, which helped a lot—at the end, we didn't have to fight people who were going to kill us.


Your random fact for the day: about 40% of Vietnam's population has a surname of Nguyen. The most popular surname in the States is Smith, and comprises 1% of the population. Hmmmmmmmm....

3 comments:

Char said...

Sorry about your foot. Did you pass your test anyway (or are these the type of tests that people "pass")? Hey you have that dremel, make something. That cures ills of all types...Well at least it does for me. Maybe I'll make some art in leiu for you.

Your random fact speaks to the fact that there are more Vietnamese people in Vietnam than there are any single group in The US of course (heh). It would be the same in Canada-that is the immigrant nature of North America.
Though having one of the more common names here means that people think you are related to every other person with that name, as I can attest.

Hope you are feeling better!

Char said...

You can take that last piece as the art if you like. I enjoyed making it so there are good art vibes there.

You didn't even like Rappers Delight or My Adidas? That stuff is classic! I never cared for the Gangster stuff-I so wish rap would return to being about having good rhymes and talent rather than being a thug.
I had the early dcTalk albums; we liked them (not as much as Petra of course) and I still have soft spot for them :) . They actually evolved into a great group before they began, well, devolving I suppose.

Char said...

decided