...Is not the greatest. I got a minor eye infection, found out my doctor is no longer accepting new patients (I qualify as a new patient), and received shoddy advice from an urgent care place near work. This is why I hate insurance--this is going to go down as a claim, cost someone big bucks, and I'll have spent $15 for two minutes of Remedial Remedies by Mom (TM) from someone who definitely isn't Mom. The good news is that the infection cleared up (no pun intended) and I should be right as rain by the end of the weekend. When I return, I'll set up an appointment to buy contacts and glasses. My glasses are seven years old. And they are ugly. Uglier-than-Janet-Reno-on-a-bad-day ugly. But still better than losing-to-Michigan-State-in-1998 ugly.
...I finished my mp3 splitter front-end. The end result looks a bit like this (different theme than last time, though I'm pondering going back to utilitarian...this is getting old):

...I became enamored of Chuck Norris facts. You should, too. For example, did you know that Chuck Norris has two speeds? Walk and kill.
...Generated a lot of design documentation at work. Word is still out on whether it'll actually be useful or not. This is actually really good training for me, and one of the areas in which I got virtually no experience in school. Hopefully I'll be able to do some of it for the new R&D work that'll come down the chute in the future. The people who wrote our software were incredibly smart and talented--just not at software engineering.
...Found out that many packages are starting to require libstdc++-4.0.2 and greater. This is inconvenient, and means that I will be compiling quite a bit of my software. I think I'm going to wipe my drive soon and install Ubuntu. Fedora Core 5 comes out in March, and I will probably upgrade to it first, just to see...but if it doesn't satisfy, I'm going to jump ship. I hope sometime to be able to create a system that I can do source upgrades and RPM / DEB upgrades at the same time.
...Have not written as much as I wanted. That, and waiting for LyX to compile, is why I'm writing here now.
...Never grew out of dork mode.
I'm planning on being in PA sometime this weekend, and there's an outside chance I'll come into town for President's Day. But presently I'm hoping to go to Chicago to visit Ross and Lyndsey, and maybe Brian and Suzanne (though they're a bit farther out). If nothing pans out, I'll have a four-day weekend (Friday is a Friday off--did I mention that 9/80 days rule?) in Orlando, where I have driven almost every day with my windows down this month.
But I really miss the change of seasons, snow, and drivers who know what they're doing.
No comments:
Post a Comment