Friday, February 17, 2006

... still ...

It's late. I am more or less just returned to PA from Florida, and I realized that my last entry (now "yesterday") was pretty pathetic. My Current BTITWITBS dropped to zero after I finished.


So the news is rather sparse. As I mentioned, my employer has faced a few budget cuts recently which has led to some contractor layoffs. Rather classless layoffs, actually, since the contractors had barely been with us a few months. However, they did receive a bit of severance, a nod to the rather poor way that things turned out. CDA is a really good company to work for, and the people are incredible--and incredibly talented--so they were disappointed to be let go. A third defected to Lockheed this week.

So the intellectual capital has gone down some, but I have received moderate assurances from a couple sides that I will probably be safe. I am, however, still poking around the job market, mainly in FL but also in PA. My skill set is more used southward, but we'll see what can be dug up.


Er and I are going away for part of the weekend, a little jaunt whose details remain secret so as to surprise the lady when they come. But I think it will be fun, and hopefully allow us to decompress from the stresses of the past several months. Progress is being made, and I'm glad for it whatever the immediate cost.


I saw Underworld: Evolution yester--err, two days ago now. I was rather disappointed, and I went in without any expectations. R (coworker) and I made fun of it most of the time. Notice to Kate Beckinsale: being hot will only take you so far.

I wouldn't recommend it, even if you're a fan of the whole vampire / lichen genre. The acting isn't particularly bad, but the plot isn't engaging (better would be, e.g., Interview with a Vampire) and the effects really aren't that impressive. There's a fair amount of gore, almost all of which is utterly pointless, and the usual raunchy bits that are really the only selling point of the movie. To which I told R, "Why not rent some porn? It's cheaper. And less cheesy."

R didn't understand.


In any case, that's basically all of the news for public consumption. I am exhausted, but still very keyed up for this weekend. Hopefully I'll be able to sleep tonight.

No comments: