Monday, January 23, 2006

Daily Business

Have you ever been doing number one and realized that you also need to do number two? I definitely haven't.

The days events were fairly boring, though I managed to hit up Target and get necessities for the week. No buying lunch for me--save save save. I need to make an eye doctor appointment, which shall come in time. And my plates have arrived, so I'll purchase them too.

The GUI I'm working on looks like this:



Pretty sweet, if I do say so myself.

To close, some words from Lewis:

It seemed to me self-evident that one essential property of love, hate, fear, hope or desire was attention to their object. To cease thinking about or attending to the woman is, so far, to cease loving; to cease thinking about or attending to the dreaded thing is, so far, to cease being afraid. But to attend to your own love or fear is to cease attending to the loved or dreaded object. In other words, the enjoyment [i.e., experience] and contemplation of our inner activities are incompatible. You cannot hope and also think about hoping at the same moment; for in hope we look to hope's object and we interrupt this by (so to speak) turning around to look at the hope itself. ... This discovery flashed a new light back on my whole life. I saw that all my waiting and watchings for Joy, all my vain hopes to find some mental content on which I could, so to speak, lay my finger and say, "This is it," had been a futile attempt to contemplate the enjoyed [experienced].


Inexorably, Joy proclaimed, "You want - I myself am your want of - something other, outside, not you nor any state of you." ... I thus understood that in deepest solitude there is a road right out of the self, a commerce with something which, by refusing to identify itself with any object of the senses, or anything whereof we have biological or social need, or anything imagined, or any state of our own minds, proclaims itself sheerly objective.


From Surprised by Joy

Get it; you won't be disappointed. Unless you hate reading, English people, or who knows whatever else.

No comments: